Friday 13 August 2010

First Tomatoes of the Season and Corned Beef Hash !

They are finally here, my first tomatoes of the season. I picked the first four tomatoes from the plant just a few days ago; they were the size of cricket balls !! I took them inside sliced two up and cooked them in some olive oil and a little butter, sprinkled with a few herbs and served on granary toast. Totally delicious.

Speaking of food, yesterday, I made corned beef hash (CBH). Its a simple meal suited to autumn and winter, well it was bucketing down with rain and the clouds were dark and angry looking. Here is my simple CBH recipe. Chop & fry two onions and place in a deep casserole pot, on top of the onions put one tin of baked beans and one tin of chopped tomatoes, add seasoning and Worchester sauce to taste, then chunk two tins of corned beef and place on top of the bean and tomato mixture. The cover with some roughly chunked boiled potatoes. Place in an oven at 180C for about 45 minutes. Serve hot whilst sitting in your reclining chair watching some sport on the TV. Who cares about the rain!

I got my car back from the garage. It needed a new wheel bearing £31, It had been making a noise for about the last 500 odd miles so I thought I had pushed my luck far enough. New front brake pads £20 and also new disks £38. It also turned out I needed four new tyres £160, which I didnt think was a bad price.  Anyway parts came to £229 and labour £75. total cost £304. Not bad at all I thought. Then came the dreaded VAT £55 straight to the Government. Well as a nation we cant spend spend spend. We have to pay the debt back , so you see I have already started !

I have two best friends, One is a guy Damon and one is a lady called Mirella. I'm looking forward to having breakfast with Damon on Sunday. Mirella is in Canada with her son at a scout camp, located somewhere near the Algonquin national park. Mirellas facebook photos look like she is having a great time. Seems a great way to spend nearly four weeks.

Well thats all folks


Simple of Sussex.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this link, but unfortunately it seems to be offline... Does anybody have a mirror or another source? Please reply to my post if you do!

I would appreciate if a staff member here at simpleofsussex.blogspot.com could post it.

Thanks,
Charlie